New Zealand’s largest technology and innovation festival returns to Taranaki this month and its bringing dozens of events with it.
Techweek is an annual, nationwide festival that showcases and inspires cool ideas and creative people, leading innovations, and cutting-edge technologies.
It kicks off on Monday May 20 and this is the second time the event has come to Taranaki, curated and organised locally by Venture Taranaki.
Techweek’s Taranaki organiser Natacha Dunn of Venture Taranaki says people of the region are proudly innovative.
“Techweek gives them a chance to see what’s happening in the technology and innovation space and foster more of that legendary innovation,” she says.
“Techweek presents a perfect opportunity for people of all ages and backgrounds to think and dream bigger. There’s something for everyone in the programme, from food-tech seminars to technology movies, a virtual reality showcase to programming workshops, and opportunities to engage with innovation platforms to a pedal-powered cinema.”
Anyone with an interest in ideas, technology and innovation is encouraged to head along to the events, most of which are free to attend.
“It’s a really good chance to meet people who are doing interesting and innovative things, and who could help you progress or launch ideas of your own,” she says.
“Our region has a lot to gain from great ideas, and this event is designed to help foster yours.”
In addition to a packed programme of national events, events located in Taranaki include:
- Two All You Can Eat events in New Plymouth and Hāwera, bringing together leading thinkers and experts for a future-focused look at how technology is changing our agri-food sector.
- The local launch of global entrepreneur network Start Up Grind with GirlBoss NZ founder Alexia Hilbertidou.
- A stunningly immersive virtual reality experience at Puke Ariki (note – sold out) and a Tech Talk discussion on where VR could take us in the future.
- A close-up look at how technology is changing tourism, with Ideasummit 2018 winners Yonder.
- Also on the tourism theme TourismTech19 presents a start-up style competition event that could launch new businesses in this sector.
- A series of classic technology films – Techflix – are screening at the Len Lye Centre in New Plymouth and Everybody’s Theatre in Opunake.
- On a similar theme, Hāwera is hosting Pedal Powered Pictures where those watching a film are responsible for generating the power to screen it.
- A chance for kids to learn visual programming with local tech company Automio.
- Discover the process behind turning an idea into a physical product with Inglewood-based studio Indemic.
- Those with an idea that could change our community can head to Jump Start Taranaki, a workshop to turn digital transformation opportunities into action.
Techweek is New Zealand’s annual festival of innovation. It features events run by individuals and companies from all across the country on a diverse range of topics all focusing on this year’s theme: innovation that’s good for the world. Techweek Taranaki is on from Monday May 20 to Sunday May 26. For more details and to register for these events visit the website.